Prof. Walter Leal Filho has a first class degree in Biology and a doctorate in environmental science (PhD), having also completed a post-doctorate programme on environmental communication. He also has a higher doctorate (Dr. rer. nat habil.) in environmental information (DSc), a DPhil in sustainable development and holds the titles of Doctor of Letters (DL), Doctor of Literature (DLitt) and Doctor of Education (DEd) commensurate with his scientific performance and outputs translated by over 300 publications among books, book chapters and scientific papers.
His professional qualifications include:
- Chartered Biologist, (CBiol)
- Registered European Biologist (EurBiol)
- Fellow of the Institute of Biology (FIBiol)
- Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Geography (FRGS)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (FRSA)
Prof Leal Filho is Director of the Research and Transfer Centre “Applications of Life Sciences” at the Hamburg University of Applied Sciences and a Professor of Environment and Technology at Manchester Metropolitan University, being a member of the team at School of Science and the Environment. He is also member of the Projects Complaints Mechanism of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development. In 2009, he created the International Climate Change Information Programme (ICCIP)
which is the world´s leading programme on climate change education information and communication, running the on-line climate conference series. He teaches on environmental information, education, communication and management issues at various European universities. He is a honorary professor at the A I Open University, University of Blageovgrad, University of Rezekne, University of Applied Sciences Zittau-Görlitz and a visiting professor at various other universities. He has over 20 years of research experience on all aspects of environmental information and education and has a particular interest on the connections between environmental management, sustainability, climate and human behaviour.
Prof Leal Filho has over 300 publications among authored/edited books, book chapters, papers published in refereed journals and/or presented at international conferences to his credit. His field experience involves missions undertaken on behalf of various international organisations (e.g. European Union, World Bank, OECD, UNESCO, UNEP) and attendance to specialised events in the following countries:
North America (Canada, USA),
South America (Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Guyana, Peru, Venezuela)
Caribbean (Antigua, Barbados, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, St. Lucia)
Europe (Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Finland, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, The Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey)
Africa (Burkina Faso, Egypt, Ethiopia, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Mali, Mozambique, Senegal, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia)
Middle East/Asia (Bangladesh, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Israel, Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Nepal, Palestine, Philippines, Qatar, Singapore, Turkey)
He also has an extensive experience with international environmental training and has run training activities (i.e. courses, seminars, workshops) in: Bangladesh, Barbados, Belgium, Brazil, Burkina Faso, China, Colombia, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Dominica, Egypt, Ethiopia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guyana, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Kenya, Korea, Malta, Mozambique, Palestine, Philippines, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Senegal, Singapore, Spain, Sudan, Tunisia, Uganda, Venezuela and Zambia.
Among the various research projects undertaken and completed, the following ones may be mentioned:
- 1990-91: Tropical Rainforests Awareness Programme in Brazil, Commission of the European Communities, CEC, DG XII.
- 1992-93: Environmental Awareness and Tourism in Portugal, Commission of the European Communities, CEC DG XXIII, UNEP and Portuguese Government.
- 1993-94: A Survey of Sites Suitable for Environmental Education and Tourism in Bradford, UK. City of Bradford.
- 1994-95: Environmental Education Policies in the European Union. Commission of the European Communities, CEC DG XXIII.
- 1994-95: EURO-AWARENESS PROJECT. Commission of the European Communities, CEC DG XI.
- 1996-1997: MULTI-MEDIA; ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION AND TRAINING, Commision of the European Communities, CEC DG XI.
- 1996-1997: EUROSYMBIOSES: THE INTERNET AND THE ENVIRONMENT, Commission of the European Communities, SOCRATES Programme, CEC DG XXII.
- 1996-1998: PROGRAMME FOR ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING IN EUROPE, Commission of the European Communities, LEONARDO da Vinci Programme.
- 1999-2000: FOSTERING EMPLOYMENT IN THE ENVIRONMENT SECTOR IN EUROPE, Commission of the European Communities, NUTEK and Swedish Environment Protection Agency.
- 1999-2001: BALTIC ENVIRONMENTAL INFORMATION DISSEMINATION SYSTEM (I), Interreg IIC and Ministry of Environment of Hamburg
- 1999-2001: SUSTAINABILITY CENTRES IN THE NORTH SEA REGION, Interreg IIC and Ministry of Environment of Hamburg
- 1999-2001: Careers in Engineering, Commission of the European Communities, LEONARDO da Vinci Programme
- 1999-2001: SUSTAINABILITY URBAN PATTERNS AROUND THE BALTIC SEA, Interreg IIC and Ministry of Environment of Hamburg
- 2001-2003: Further Education Programme on Environmental Informatics
- 2002-2003: German-Czech Environment Programme
- 2002-2004: Baltic Environmental Information Dissemination System (II)
- 2002-2005: Eco Baltica Forum, Interreg IIIB, Baltic Sea
- 2003-2006: North Sea Green Dock, Interreg IIIB, North Sea
- 2003-2006: Making Waste Work, Interreg IIIB, North Sea
- 2003-2006: Baltic Universities Urban Forum, Interreg IIIB, Baltic Sea
- 2004-2006: Training Centre Life Sciences Hamburg, European Social Funds
- 2004-2006: URBAL, Interreg IIIB, North Sea
- 2004-2006: FLOWS, Interreg IIIB, North Sea
- 2004-2007: SmartLIFE, Interreg IIIB, North Sea
- 2004-2007: VISP, Interreg IIIB, North Sea
- 2004-2007: WATERFRONT, Interreg IIIB North Sea
- 2004-2010: Baltic Environmental Information Dissemination System
- 2005: European Reference Point for Technology Transfer for Sustainable Development, Promoting Sustainable Development in Europe
- 2005-2008: City to City, Interreg IIIC
- 2006-2007: Life STYLE – Sustainable Technologies for Your Local Environment, Interreg IIIB North Sea
- 2006-2007: Further Education Programme for Life Science Companies. European Social Funds (M) € 610.000
- 2006-2008: Education Consortium Life Sciences Hamburg
- 2007-2008: Sustainable Construction Waste Management in Sri Lanka, Commission of the European Communities, Post-Tsunami Programme. (M) € 750.000
- 2008-2009: INSPIRE, Commission of the European Communities, COMENIUS Programme. (S) € 396.000
- 2008-2009: “Renewable Energy Networks between Turkish and European Universities” (RENET)
- 2008-2010: Banana Commercialisation and Agriculture Diversification in St.Lucia, Commission of the European Communities, Europe-AID. (L) € 1,1m.
- 2008-2012: North Sea Skills Integration and New Technologies Project (SKINT), Commission of the European Communities, , Interreg IVB (North Sea Programme) (L) € 4,1m.
- 2008-2011: Joint Latin American European Renewable Energy Project (JELARE), Commission of the European Communities, Europe-AID. (L) € 1,4m.
- 2009-2011: From theory and plans to eco-efficient and sustainable practices to improve the status of the “Baltic Sea” (WATERPRAXIS), Commission of the European Communities, Interreg IVB (Baltic Sea Programme) (L) € 2,2m.
- 2009-2012: Small Developing Island Renewable Energy Knowledge and Technology Transfer Network (DIREKT). Commission of the European Communities, Europe-AID. (L) € 1,1m.
- 2010-2013: Network of Climate Change Technology Transfer Centres in Europe and Latin America (CELA). Commission of the European Communities, Europe-AID. (L) € 1,4m.
- 2011-2014: Developing promising strategies using analogue locations in Eastern and Southern Africa (CALESA). BMZ/GIZ, € 1,1m.
- 2011-2014: Promoting Renewable Electricity Generation in South America (REGSA) Commission of the European Communities, Europe-AID. (L) € 1,41m.
- 2011-2014: North Sea Region Electric Mobility Network
- Commission of the European Communities, Interreg IVB (North Sea Programme) (L) € 6,6m.
- 2013-2016: Planning for Energy Efficient Cities (PLLEC)
Commission of the European Communities, FP7, € 4,1m.
- 2013-2016: Baltic Flows
Commission of the European Communities, FP7, € 2,3m.
- 2013-2016: Solid State Lighting (SSL-Erate) – no web site yet!
Commission of the European Communities, FP7, € 2,1m.
- 2013-2016: L³EAP – LifeLong Learning for Energy security, access and efficiency in African and Pacific SIDS – no web site yet!
Commission of the European Communities, Europe-AID, € 500.000.
- 2014-2017: European-ACP Network on Rainwater Harvesting and Irrigation (AFRHINET) – no web site yet!
Commission of the European Communities, Europe-AID. € 1,1m.
The above schemes had a total budget in excess of Euro 40 million.
Among the many awards he has received, it can be mentioned the 1999 “Leading Editor of the Year Award” and the 2000 “Editor of the Year Award”, by MCB University Press, the “Eco-Citizen Award” (2001) in Rio de Janeiro and the Aurelio Giuseppe Prize awarded by the Italian Council of Ministers for his environmental work. Moreover, he was awarded the “Golden Page Award” (April 2003) in London for his editorial work and the North Sea Star Award (2006) by the EU-Interreg Secretariat for his project work in the North Sea Region.
In addition to his own research, Prof Leal Filho has been acting as a supervisor of several academic theses (Masters and Doctorate), as well as postdoctorate programmes on the subjects of environmental management, climate change, sustainable development and renewable energy for students from European and developing countries.
He is also the editor of the Journals “Management of Environmental Quality”, International Journal of Innovation and Sustainable Development and founding editor of the “International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education”, the International Journal of Environment and Sustainable Development and the International Journal of Climate Change Strategies and Management. He is also a member of the editorial board of the journals “Sustainable Design”, “Sustainable Development and World Ecology”, “International Journal of Global Environmental Issues”, “Biomedical and Environmental Sciences”, and “Environmental Awareness”.
Prof Leal Filho is fluent in English, German, Portuguese and Spanish, has a good knowledge of French and a basic knowledge of the Danish language. His leisure interests are reading, swimming, jogging, writing and Cinema.